Common Ground is a 9-week facilitated course that offers a powerful way for men to explore the issues and challenges they face.
A Common Ground men’s group is a place for men to have the conversations that they need to have, in a supported and non-judgemental way.
Common Ground has its own dedicated website with lots more information.
Free Intro Nights
Our free intro nights are a great way to find out more about Common Ground, meet the facilitators and the other men that may join the program. Intro nights give a taste of what Common Ground is about and answer any questions you may have. Women are welcome to attend our free intro nights. The 9-week Common Ground program usually starts the week following an intro night.
Lots of information including what, where, when and how on the website www.mensgroup.org.au
Free Intro nights happening soon
We hold a free monthly open men’s group in Norman Park, Brisbane.
Common Ground programs starting soon
South-East Queensland & Northern NSW
Common Ground is coming to Sydney in 2017! Some men in Sydney have taken up the challenge to make Common Ground happen in Sydney, now we just need more men to join us.
If you are interested please email Gavin (firstname.lastname@example.org) so we can keep you informed as we plan this new venture.
More about Common Ground
Most men don’t have a life. Instead we have learned to pretend. Much of what men do is an outer show, kept up for protection. Like a tiger raised in a zoo – confused and numb, with huge energies untapped. He feels there must be more, but does not know what more is.
~ from Manhood by Steve Biddulph
There are profound benefits when men have the space and time to discuss the things that matter with other men. Common Ground groups provide a safe, non-confronting atmosphere that supports your personal growth and raises awareness. It’s about building something new on the inside, from an authentic masculine perspective.
Individuals and community organisations often ask us about men’s groups and it’s clear there is a genuine shortage of facilities and opportunities for men. Common Ground offers one of the few opportunities for men to gain new perspectives on issues, and on life with other caring and informed men.
- Immeasurable, I cannot describe the benefits, thank you so much.
- I realise more of who I am and the way others see me.
- I know my own emotions better.
- I know how to handle situations in a new positive way.
- I discovered men are better than depicted in the media.
- I found I was not alone with my views and feelings.
- I feel recharged from the course.
- Better understanding of men’s issues and what they are.
- The course has given me a clear sense of being and a sense of oneness about my emotions and myself.
- Achieved something by telling my story, facing unresolved issues & gaining new friendships.
- The course is extremely well structured and organised. For me, and I am confident others share the same opinion; you jointly created an atmosphere of trust and safety. The time spent was unique and invaluable to be able to relate to fellow men without fear of judgement. So thank you for your time, consideration, sincerity and willingness to accept and assist in contributing to my life’s journey. I feel and think of you not as facilitators, but friends of awareness and trust.” ~ Chris
- For me, participating in a Common Ground group was not about being less-than or wrong, it was about finding greater substance and love for my life in today’s busy and challenging world. The flow on to my family, work and community is enormous. ~ Neil, age 52
- It’s just changed everything” ~ John R, age 43
…and a woman’s view of Common Ground
- My husband is more alive, our home life is so much more enriched & I feel excited about the future. Not only did I notice a change in him over the duration of the course, but he still meets regularly with his group and both he and I feel supported through this regular contact he has with the men he has made such an obviously deep connection with. I’m so glad he did Common Ground. ~ Caitlin
Common Ground Facilitators are men from our community with extensive experience in men’s work. They have all attended Common Ground program themselves, so they know what it’s like to be just one of the men. After attending a 3-day intensive Facilitator Training Program they receive further hands-on experience as trainees, working with senior facilitators in a number of Common Ground programs.
While each Facilitator has his own style, they all share a common understanding of the art of facilitating a group of men in a way that enables each man to find his own truth, his own path and his own voice amongst men. Facilitators are watchful for advice-giving, cross-talk, projection and other habits that get in the way of authentic connection between men. Their deep skill is the capacity to hold firm yet gentle boundaries to keep the groups safe without blocking the expression of what is real and authentic.